Transport Department of the Govt.of Assam is one of the major revenue earning departments.
The Commissioner of Transport, Assam is vested with the following functions and activities:
- Enforcement and implementation of Motor Vehicle Act, 1988; Assam Motor Vehicle Rules, 2003; The Assam Motor Vehicle Taxation Act, 1936; Assam Motor Vehicle Taxation Rules, 1940; The Assam Passengers and Goods Taxation Act; Bengal Public Demand Recovery Act.
- Registration of vehicles.
- Issuance and renewal of driving licence.
- Issuance and renewal of conductors' licence.
- Assessment and collection of Motor Vehicles Tax and Fees etc.
- Issuance of International Driving Permit.
- Grant/Issuance of Fitness Certificate to the Transport Vehicles.
- Issue Road Permits to Stage Carriage, Contract Carriage, Goods Vehicles and countersign the same.
- Authorisation and issuance of permit for National and All India vehicles
- Detection of offender vehicles violating the relevant Rules & Regulations and take action against them through the Enforcement Wing of Transport Department
- Observance of programmes/workshop/seminar on Road safety at regular intervals
- Running of Driver and Conductor's Training Institutes
- Taking action to minimize the vehicular air pollution